Migration patterns are changing in the Mediterranean region, where people
seeking unauthorized entry to the EU may face tighter border controls. Besides
looking at the broad strokes of that migration and the adaptation of one
country, Greece, this issue provides Greek data and examines new comprehensive
immigration reform legislation emerging in Washington. You'll find:
- MPI Associate Policy Analyst Erin Patrick's updated Spotlight on the
Refugee Resettlement Program, which is still undergoing changes in the wake of
the September 11 attacks.
- An analysis of the General Agreement in Trade
and Services (GATS) by Oonagh
Sands of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, which tackles the
Mode 4 aspect of global trade talks.
- Martin Baldwin-Edwards of Panteion University's in-depth look at the latest
migration within the
- A profile of Greece, which has become a receiver of migrants and a permanent
immigrant destination, by Charalambos Kasimis of the Agricultural University of
Athens and independent researcher Chryssa Kassimi.
- MPI Senior Demographer Elizabeth Grieco provides an update of
- An outline of newly proposed US immigration reform legislation, called the
Safe, Orderly, Legal Visas
and Enforcement Act of 2004 (SOLVE), by MPI's Maia
If you haven't already, make sure to sign up for our news flash
and be the first
to receive new issues and data updates.
On behalf of the Source team, thank you for your comments and
Kimberly Hamilton, Ph.D
The Migration Information Source is a project of the
2002-2013 Migration Policy Institute.
All rights reserved.
Migration Information Source, ISSN 1946-4037
MPI · 1400 16th St. NW, Suite 300 · Washington, DC 20036
ph: (001) 202-266-1940 · fax: (001) 202-266-1900